[XeTeX] TeXworks & XeTeX : Pinyin u-with-third-tone

Andrew Moschou andmos at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 00:55:40 CET 2012

On 5 January 2012 06:47, Daniel Greenhoe <dgreenhoe at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Since you are using Antykwa fonts for the newsletter,
> >> I'm wondering whether you already considered to
> >> ask the authors to add the glyph.
>
> It would make a nice Christmas gift. However, the addition called for
> would really be an entire block of glyphs. Of course standard pinyin
> requires four tone markers: first tone (high tone), second tone
> (rising tone), third tone (low tone), and forth tone (falling tone).
> And these tone markers can appear above any of the vowels a, e, i, o,
> or u. So that requires a minimum support of 20 glyphs (4x5=20 ...
> impressed with my math???)

Don't forget the vowel ü. My dictionary also includes the vowel ê (with the
alternative spelling ei). Exceptionally, a tone can appear on the letter n,
if the syllable does not contain a vowel, which, as far as I can tell
applies only to the character 嗯 (which can be translated as "hmm").

> In addition, and this may only be me, but I don't like to put a tone
> marker over the i because there is already an ominous dot hovering up
> there and I don't like making the upper space even more crowded with
> another symbol (and I don't like having the dot removed and simply
> replaced with a tone marker).

I'm curious, why you don't like doing this?

> So that sometimes means moving the tone
> marker to the space above a consonant, meaning at least some
> consonants glyphs with tone markers may also be good.

For example, in