[XeTeX] Incomplete .aux file

nathan.sidoli at utoronto.ca nathan.sidoli at utoronto.ca
Mon Jan 2 08:08:16 CET 2012

I don't thing this is a Xe(La)Tex specific problem, but I thought I
would ask this question here, since this is the main list I subscribe
to.

I'm having an issue with the .aux file being incomplete in two
different files I am working with.

The files are part of an edited book and these are chapters by
individual authors. I only call the files in one-by-one
(\include{filename}) at this point, so in theory the problems are
unconnected, but I have only ever encountered this problem in this
project.

In one case in the middle of a long bibliography I am getting the
following error message:

(./BF_Samso_test.tex [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] (./BF_book.aux (./BF_Samso_test.aux
! Undefined control sequence.
l.80 \immediate\clo

?
))

When I look at line 80 of the .aux file, which is also that last, it shows:

\immediate\closeout\minitoc

In the other case, in the middle of a long paper I get the following
error message:

Runaway argument?
{\contentsline {figure}{\numberline {14}{\ignorespaces A `random walk\ETC.
! File ended while scanning use of \@writefile.
<inserted text>
                 \par
l.2 \@input{BF_Borwein.aux}

?
)

Again the last line of the .aux file is:

\immediate\closeout\minitoc

In none of the other files for this project is this the final line of
the .aux file.

It is difficult to make a minimal example because the problem doesn't
appear until late in the file. I should also add that I can make the
problem disappear by commenting out back to a certain point, but as
soon as I go beyond that point, even if I reenter the data by rekeying
it, the error message will appear again.

Does anyone have any suggestions?