[XeTeX] selecting font variants

Don Killian donald.killian at helsinki.fi
Wed Feb 29 11:45:58 CET 2012

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to select a font variant
with fontspec?

I'm a linguist using the IPA, so I need to make a difference with a and
ɑ.  Unfortunately, with Charis SIL, the only font which fully supports
the IPA with both bold and italics, the default for the font is that
italicized a turns into ɑ.

In Openoffice, the solution to this is to pick the slant italics variant
manually, e.g. the font name becomes: Charis SIL:1053=1, not just Charis
SIL.  This appears to work in Xelatex as well, but then for some reason
all my italics disappear.

Any suggestions?

Best,

Don