[XeTeX] Problems beginning typesetting arabic text

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 16:13:27 CET 2012

2012/2/26 Tobias Schoel <liesdiedatei at googlemail.com>:
> Thanks for your help, Zdenek, Kamal and Khaled.

> So how should I tell fontspec (and polyglossia?) to usually write in Arabic
> using Amiri and only use TeX Gyre Pagella for Latin Script resp. English
> Language?

e.g. by defining \arabicfont.

>>> Finally, a little question concerning Arabic typesetting in General:
>>>
>>> The above line in Arabic shall be a headline for instructions, so it
>>> should be heavily emphasised. In Latin script, I would typeset it
>>> larger and with a bold face. In Arabic, this seems to be wrong as
>>> the usual Arabic fonts don't include bold faces. So how is heavy and
>>> attention drawing emphasis done in Arabic script?
>>

>> In traditional Arabic printing, either a larger version of the regular
>> typeface will be used or an entirely different typeface, often of
>> heavier design and sometimes of different style (e.g. a Riqaa or even
>> Nastaliq). Today bold is quite acceptable (but though Amiri have a bold
>> font, it is not as polished as the regular one, yet). Someday, I'll have
>> an Amiri Display optical variant :)
>
> In my Texlive2011 installation, Amiri is present, but fc-list only lists a
> regular variant and \bfseries doesn't do anything on Amiri.

In my TL 2011:

ls /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/amiri/
amiri-boldslanted.ttf  amiri-bold.ttf  amiri-regular.ttf  amiri-slanted.ttf

> Cocerning the X Series 2: Why isn't it shipped with Texlive?

Obviously because they are not on CTAN. This is one of the basic
rules. I hope that SIL font license is free enough.

> bye
>
> Toscho

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/