[XeTeX] Problems beginning typesetting arabic text

Tobias Schoel liesdiedatei at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 25 20:49:01 CET 2012

Hello to all,

finally I have some Arabic text to typeset. Usually I skip the
discussion on this list, if non-latin scripts are involved, but now I
need your help.

The following minimal example:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont[Script=Arabic]{Amiri}
\setromanfont{TeX Gyre Pagella}
\newfontfamily\arabicfont[Script=Arabic]{Amiri}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setmainlanguage{arabic}
\setotherlanguage{english}

\begin{document}
\begin{Arabic}التصرف عند حدوث حريق و اخلاء المدرسة\end{Arabic}

\begin{english}Hello, World!\end{english}

\end{document}

Why do I have to define \arabicfont by myself? Intuitively, this should
be done by fontspec if it detects, that the main font Amiri includes the
Arabic script. Which it does.

If I comment it out, polyglossia complains, that the roman main font
(Amiri) does not support Arabic. Which it does.

This seems to be a little weird.

Finally, a little question concerning Arabic typesetting in General:

The above line in Arabic shall be a headline for instructions, so it
should be heavily emphasised. In Latin script, I would typeset it larger
and with a bold face. In Arabic, this seems to be wrong as the usual
Arabic fonts don't include bold faces. So how is heavy and attention
drawing emphasis done in Arabic script?

Thanks

Toscho
--