[XeTeX] How do mapping files affect hyphenation?

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri Feb 24 13:54:20 CET 2012

  I don’t know the technical answer to that question, but considering
what you say:

>                I would have expected the translittered text to be
> hyphenated according the original russian rules but actually it is
> not hyphenated at all:

  That hints that the text is hyphenated after transliteration, using
Russian hyphenation rules, and these obviously don’t how to hyphenate
words written using the Latin script.  That doesn’t surprise me all that
much.  Indeed, transliteration rules could map sequences of characters
to one single character in the output (unlikely for Russian,
admittedly); and if the hyphenation patterns command a break in the
middle of the original characters, where should the transliterated text
be hyphenated?

  Actually, that situation isn’t so unlikely: I could imagine a
transliteration system that would for example map “кс” to “x” (as in
Александер), and it’s entirely possible to have a breakpoint between ‘к’
and ‘с’ (I didn’t check if that’s the case in the default patterns).

	Arthur