[XeTeX] Windows views XeTeX PDF with bad font size

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Sat Feb 18 16:37:44 CET 2012

I'm sorry I don't have many details because it wasn't my own system on
which the problem appeared, but:  I have a PDF file generated with XeTeX
(xdvipdfm), and a Japanese font embedded in the PDF.  It looks fine on my
screen (under Linux, with a couple of different viewers) and it prints
correctly when I send it to my laser printer.  But when my friend tries to
view it on a Windows machine, he complains that "there's not enough space
between the characters" and from the screen shot it's apparent that the
viewer has scaled the font to a too-large size while still positioning
each glyph at its correct reference point.  As a result the glyphs touch
and overlap.

Most likely this is some problem with the Windows PDF viewer.  I've seen
similar things before though not as extreme as the current case - it may
have some standard sizes, and round things to the nearest standard size
even if that's a bad idea, as a result of trying to make pixel hinting
look nice.  But if there's anything I can change in the way I generate the
PDF file (or by editing the font) to make this issue less likely to occur
on Windows systems, it'd be valuable to know about.
--
Matthew Skala
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before principles.