[XeTeX] Critical edition with translation on facing pages

Nathan Sidoli nathan.sidoli at utoronto.ca
Wed Feb 8 13:52:36 CET 2012

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience making a critical edition,
with apparatus with a translation on facing pages using XeTeX, LaTeX,
etc. I've seen that there a number of packages for doing parallel
columns, etc., but they don't seen to produce good results for longer work.

If anyone has any experience with a monograph length project, especially
one involving diagrams, and such, I would be interested in hearing how
you did it.

I want to have the text it self on one page with a critical apparatus
using ednote or edmac and an English translation on the facing page,
with normal footnotes.

Obviously, I will need to manually page break the English, to keep it
corresponding the source text, but at the moment the only way I can get
it to behave nicely is to number all the source page numbers with
consecutive odd numbers and all the translation pages with consecutive
even numbers and then split up the resulting .pdf file and reorganize
the pages.

I'm hoping there is a better solution.