[XeTeX] bidi.sty for plain XeTeX

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Sat Dec 22 08:48:09 CET 2012

Hello

I think the problem is probably the way you call the Arabic font (unless the
font itself is like a monospaced font with no ligature facililty - but that
seems unlikely).  If you have Scheherazade, try the following (for use with
surrounding ten-point type:  typically, for legibility an Arabic font will
have a larger pointsize than the surrounding roman text):

\font\uarabicten = "Scheherazade:script=arab" at  13pt
\let\arabic\uarabicten

Even if you don't have Scheherazade, this should work provided you remember
':script=arab' in calling the font, as above.  If it doesn't work, I guess
you are using a font that doesn't have the appropriate feature installed,
and that might make it rather difficult to get a satisfactory result.
Scheherazade seems generally to win approval from those who know about such
things, though (not me), so it might be worth moving over to that (even as a
temporary measure to ensure that you get valid output).

Best

John