[XeTeX] typesetting hyphen in xelatex

Sasi Kumar sasi.fsf at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 16:15:48 CET 2012

Dear friends,

When I enter two consecutive "minus" signs, it does not typeset in the form
of a long dash as in latex. Instead, it appears as two small dashes
together. So, what should I enter to obtain a long dash? Perhaps, the same
difference exists in the way three dashes are also typeset in xelatex. If
it does, could someone please guide me on how to get the corresponding
dashes in xelatex that one gets in plain latex? I have another doubt too.
This is regarding what is usually called "smart quotes". You know those
cute-looking quotes with a bulb at the bottom instead of the straight
dashes. I am not able to get them in xelatex, whereas they used to appear
by default in latex when the appropriate quote symbols are used.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Sasi

--