[XeTeX] sanskrit hyphenation question

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Wed Dec 12 17:15:31 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 04:42:39PM +0100, François Patte wrote:
> While looking on this page http://tug.org/tex-hyphen/, I have seen that
> left-right-hyphenmin for sanskrit are set to (1,5). Why 5?

  That value for \righthyphenmin has been provided early on in the
development of the hyphenation patterns for Sanskrit, I think it was
partially the result of an oversight; it's been changed in Polyglossia,
as you've seen, the website only needs updating.

>                                                            In fact, if
> we read the gloss-sanskrit.ldf file, it seems that it is (1,3).
>
> Why 3? I think that results are better with 2.

  You should provide some kind of justification when you make statements
like this.  This value was agree upon three or four years ago in the
course of a discussion involving, among others, Yves Codet, who is the
original author of the hyphenation patterns; he reads this list, so can
explain.  I suspect that with \righthyphenmin=2, the patterns would
produce illegal breakpoints.

	Arthur