[XeTeX] Access of vertical CJK fonts preceeding with @

Adam Twardoch (List) list.adam at twardoch.com
Thu Dec 6 23:48:10 CET 2012

Gerrit,

this is a custom functionality of the Windows API, a "poor man's" method to get vertical typesetting in "normal" applications which cannot deal with real vertical typesetting. The "vert" feature is different: it provides additional 90 degree rotation for those glyphs which are read better in a horizontal arrangement rotated by 90 degrees. I.e. you use the "vert" feature in a *real* vertcal typesetting context where CJK glyphs occur one under the other, but e.g. for Latin glyphs it makes sense to set them so that the reader has to turn his head to the right.

So "vert" is completely independent of what you're asking. If XeTeX cannot do "proper" vertical typesetting then perhaps indeed there should be a font selection function that just rotates everything set in that font. I'd rather have such a mechanism exposed than to rely on a non-cross-platform "@" prefix "OS hack" (a hack actually provided by the OS). I don't know whether such mechanism already exists in XeTeX though. Perhaps it does?

Either way, you'd still want to apply the "vert" feature to do additional 90 degree rotation for certain glyphs, or -- if used in the scenario you're proposing -- to actually *un-rotate* them, so they bacome horizontal again.

A.

Sent from my mobile phone.