[XeTeX] The future of XeTeX

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 2 16:58:17 CEST 2012

Hello.

I would certainly try to contribute financially (though now isn't the best
time!) for someone (or a team) to develop a 'custom kerning' feature that
would allow XeTeX users to add to and modify the kerning pairs of a font
without actually intervening in the font, with a rubric like this:

\font \umirfive =
"MinionPro-Regular:+onum:mapping=tex-text:letterspace=1.5:kern=[d:\kerntables\minionkern.krn]"
at 5pt

The file minionkern.krn would list the kerning pairs to add to or override
the information supplied with the font.

The last time this came up, I think the consensus among the Wizards is that
it would be very difficult in XeTeX because of the point at which XeTeX
reads in such information about a font (whereas it's already doable in
LuaTeX, I believe, though I'd rather stick with XeTeX if at all possible).

There - my first and probably last contribution to the suggested 'to-do'
list.

John