[XeTeX] The future of XeTeX

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Wed Aug 1 01:48:29 CEST 2012

> It says everywhere that luatex supports UTF-8, yet my (very
> limited) understanding is that Unicode string support in *lua*
> is entirely dependent on third party additions.

  LuaTeX includes such a third-party addition for UTF-8 string
processing, called Selene (http://files.luaforge.net/releases/sln/slnunicode).
You just have to use this, instead of Lua's native string library, if you
want to process any UTF-8 string in Lua.

  Its inclusion in LuaTeX even uncovered bugs, which to my knowledge are
now fixed.

>                                                  How does this
> affect what one can do with lua in luatex?

  It does not, really.  And this is not relevant to a discussion about
XeTeX.

	Arthur