[XeTeX] Problem displaying Chinese font with \newfontfamily

Haines Brown haines at histomat.net
Thu Apr 26 20:05:44 CEST 2012

I'm migrating from LaTeX to XeLaTeX on Debian Squeeze with TL2100,
but having trouble with XeLaTeX display of Chinese characters:

    \documentclass[12pt]{article}
    \usepackage{xltxtra}
    \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Linux Libertine O}
    \usepackage{xeCJK}
    \setCJKmainfont{AR PL KaitiM GB}
    \newfontfamily\sungtiGB{AR PL SungtiL GB}

    \begin{document}

        Main font:

        Sung font: {\sungtiGB ??}

    \end{document}

The chinese characters are all displayed with main font "AR PL KaitiM
GB" but the \newfontfamily only displays the main font, not the font
it specifies. I do have access to the font because if I set "AR PL
SungtiL GB" as main font, it displays properly.

Haines Brown