[XeTeX] Testing custom hyphenation patterns

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 00:05:06 CEST 2012

2012/4/19 Aleksandr Andreev <aleksandr.andreev at gmail.com>:
> Hello folks,
>
> I'm working on some hyphenation patterns for Church Slavonic. I'm not
> using PatGen2 - given the agglutinative nature of the language, I
> think this would be too tedious. Rather, I'm writing down patterns by
> hand.
>
> I would like to test my patterns in XeTeX using the \showhyphens
> syntax to see how I'm doing.
>
> Question: how do I load the patterns? As I understand from the
> documentation, patterns are read only by IniTeX. I've read on the 'net
> that I need to modify language.dat. Where is this file and what do I
> need to do with it? I'd rather not break my TeX installation.

It depends on TeX distribution. If you use TeX Live, "kpsewhich
language.dat" tells you the location of the file. You can always make
a backup copy. Remember that in TeX Live any update by tlmgr may
restore the file to its default. You should red the manual where local
configuration files are described. If you use another TeX
distribution, you should read its manual.

> Thanks,
>
> Aleksandr.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/