[XeTeX] arabic

Kamal Abdali k.abdali at acm.org
Wed Apr 4 23:59:02 CEST 2012

My point was that some of the functionality of language-specific packages
is already built-in into XeTeX. Facility for inputting the text is one
such. ArabTeX has special Tex commands for representing individual Arabic
letters, and for turning vocalization on or off. These are redundant in
XeTeX. We can just type the text, adding vowel marks to any letter if
needed. Below is a (trivial) modification of the previous (trivial) program
to illustrate this (for those who are new to typesetting Arabic with TeX).

Of course, for advanced editing, you are better off using special packages.
Personally I am quite happy at present with the package polyglossia. It has
support for several languages, including most of the languages that use the
Arabic script. The nice thing is that you can mix texts from as many
languages and alphabets as you need. For the text direction control,
polyglossia has the bidi package loaded already.

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\newfontfamily\A[Script=Arabic,Scale=1.4,WordSpace=2]{Amiri} % Scheherazade
\begin{document}
\begin{tabular}{c c c}
{\A
مُثَلَّث