[XeTeX] arabic

Jens Bakker jbakker at uni-bonn.de
Wed Apr 4 15:31:21 CEST 2012

Dear Jean-Louis,

I suppose the best way to produce Arabic texts is with the package "polyglossia" which uses the package "bidi" by Vafa Khalighi. The input is with Arabic characters by an Arabic keyboard layout. You just have to learn were the Arabic characters are located which may be boring and time consuming at the beginning but after you have learnt it, it is very convenient.
The vowel signs are located on the keyboard on the row below the numbers and are accessed by shift, so for example fatha by shift+q, fatha with tanwin by shift + w etc. Of course this may differ according to which keyboard layout is in use.
As for the user interface, I have to admit that so far I have used only TeX Shop which I think only runs on Mac OS and with which Arabic input is very convenient.

As an attachment you will find a source text with some properties that may be of interest for someone who wants to write Arabic texts (as marginal notes and line above the words instead of below for emphasis. You can run the file if you put in line 15 instead of the font name Badr LT the name of an Arabic font which is on your system.

With best regards,
Jens Bakker