[XeTeX] Odd hyphenations

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri Sep 30 19:52:31 CEST 2011

>                                So something is wrong with
> polyglossia, from which I suppose the command comes from.

  Yes, that must be the problem.  Last time I checked, Polyglossia used
\AtBeginDocument to set \lefthyphenmin and \righthyphenmin, and a
side-effect of that may be that the document uses hyphenmin settings for
some "other language" as declared to Polyglossia -- in that case,
Sanskrit, that has indeed \lefthyphenmin = \righthyphenmin = 1 (which
works fine for Sankrit typeset in Indic scripts, but is clearly a
problem for Roman transliteration -- but that is a different issue).

  Neal, don't fiddle with your TeX installation, the problem must be
with Polyglossia, and there should be an easy way to work around it.
Unfortunately François Charette, the Polyglossia developer, apparently
doesn't have time to work on it any more, but in your case the solution
may actually be very simple.

  However, we need to see examples of how you use Polyglossia exactly,
and hence a full document, not only the preamble.

	Arthur