[XeTeX] polyglossia and french

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 09:11:55 CEST 2011

2011/9/25 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 22:55, Alan Munn wrote:
>> On Sep 24, 2011, at 3:34 PM, rhino64 at postmail.ch wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>    When typesetting documents in french with polyglossia,
>>> a space is added before double punctuation signs (like !:?...).
>>>
>>> This is normal in french typography used in France. However,
>>> here in Switzerland, it is more usual to not use this
>>> extra space.
> /.../
>> There's a command \nofrench at punctuation which turns off all the French related punctuation.
> /.../
>> So to selectively turn off the special spacing for particular characters, redefine this command by commenting out the lines that correspond to spacing that you wish to keep, and then issue the command to turn of the uncommented ones.
>
> I don't know anything about French in Switzerland, but if such a usage
> is common, it makes more sense to add an option to Polyglossia to
> switch French spacing off with a package option/language-specific
> setting instead of resorting to low level commands.

I have received a private mail from François Charette saying that he
no longer has time to maintain polyglossia and he offered the package
to others to become maintainers. I myself will not have any time tilll
the end of this year and moreover do not know git and have no time to
learn it. If someone is able to clone it, migrate it to subversion (or
cvs) and become a new maintainer, i will actively join the team of
developers in January 2012.

> Mojca

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/