[XeTeX] Compatibility issues with ednotes and pstricks or TikZ

Nathan Sidoli nathan.sidoli at utoronto.ca
Thu Sep 22 17:18:31 CEST 2011

Thank you for all your help with this.

I have been using ednotes for some time because it handles footnotes in
the proper manner for critically edited texts. As can be seen in the
attached file, the text appears as it should in a critical edition:
there are no footnote marks in the text, line numbers are not repeated
in the notes, line ranges are given, the formatting of the notes is
automatic (that is, division between the lemma and the note, etc), and
so on. There are also a number of nice features, such as the ability to
overlap notes, nest notes, etc, all of which are necessary for a text
with a complicated manuscript basis.

Until the bidi footnote features can handle these basics, bidi will not
be able to be used in place of packages such as ednotes or ledmac.

For how long have bidi and ednotes been incompatible? François Charette
, who maintains arabxetex and works on polyglossia, wrote an example
file showing how to use arabxetex + bidi with ednotes to produce
critical editions, so I assumed there would be some effort to keep the
packages compatible.