[XeTeX] Xetex and type1 font

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Mon Sep 19 11:57:52 CEST 2011

Am Sun, 18 Sep 2011 22:02:59 +0200 schrieb
rhino64 at postmail.ch:

> Hi All,
>     I know that XeTeX can use type1 font like traditionnal TeX engines (by
> reading tfm, fd files etc.).
>
> In addition, XeTeX seems too to be able to use the type1 fonts installed on the system.
> But unlike for the OpenType font where all the information about the characters
> (kerning table, ligature table etc.) is located inside the font file, a useful
> subset of this information is located in the AFM file in the case of type1 font.
>
> My question is then: can XeTeX use such information and  in the case it can,
> how can it use it ? Should the AFM files be located in the same directory
> as the type outlines description (for instance when the font is loaded by file
> name instead of font name)?

A search in the archive of the mailing list got this:

http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/xetex/2006-August/004855.html

Which in short means that informations in the afm are partly used if
found. The search path is not described but fonts/afm in a texmf
tree sound logical. As it seems that ligatures don't work I would
say that you should avoid it. (I don't know if this has changed in
the meantime.)

--
Ulrike Fischer