[XeTeX] Xetex and type1 font

rhino64 at postmail.ch rhino64 at postmail.ch
Sun Sep 18 22:02:59 CEST 2011

Hi All,
    I know that XeTeX can use type1 font like traditionnal TeX engines (by
reading tfm, fd files etc.).

In addition, XeTeX seems too to be able to use the type1 fonts installed on the system.
But unlike for the OpenType font where all the information about the characters
(kerning table, ligature table etc.) is located inside the font file, a useful
subset of this information is located in the AFM file in the case of type1 font.

My question is then: can XeTeX use such information and  in the case it can,
how can it use it ? Should the AFM files be located in the same directory
as the type outlines description (for instance when the font is loaded by file
name instead of font name)?

This point is quite important, since it is much easier to install a font
in the system as to install it for TeX.

Thanks for your idea.

best regards,