[XeTeX] Hyphenation in Transliterated Sanskrit

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 15:33:51 CEST 2011

Alessandro and I agree to disagree about the issue of philological
correctness. I think that hyphenating following etymology, lexicon and
morphemic boundaries is *more* philological than "break after a vowel."  I
think what Alessandro means by philology in this case is that he is
influenced by the usage of manuscript scribes and recitation.  But these are
both traditions in which hyphenation was not theorized at all.   However, in
the end, I don't really think it's about philology at all, but mere
precedent.

The fact is, there's a huge body of printed work out there, books and
journals, that has accumulated since about 1850, in which Sanskrit is
commonly presented in roman transliteration and is routinely hyphenated
according to compound-breaks (dharma-cakra) and morphemic boundaries
(bhav-a-ti).  A lot of people have got used to this kind of hyphenation,
often subliminally, and want it in their own printed work.  Normally, they
don't get it.  Authors of indological journal articles frequently have to
re-hyphenate Sanskrit words manually in their page proofs.  There is a
continuing demand this kind of hyphenation.  (Surely you can hear the
thunder of Sanskritists clamouring for etymological hyphenation hyphenation?
:-)   Since it's not that hard for XeTeX, we can eventually provide it as a
service for those who wish to use it.  I'm not being prescriptive about
this.  Others can use the existing patterns.  Let a thousand flowers bloom.

I'm quite taken by the concept that Alessandro has raised about different
hyphenation traditions for the same language and script in different
countries.  I.e., English (or Sanskrit) might be differently hyphenated in
Italy.  Very interesting.

Best,
Dominik

(coffee later, Alessandro?)