[XeTeX] Is this a bug in xelatex/xdvipdfmx ?

rhino64 at postmail.ch rhino64 at postmail.ch
Mon Sep 12 10:35:40 CEST 2011

Hi All,
    Few years ago, I have bought few fonts type 1 from Bitstream. Even,
if they are only type 1, they are sufficient for most of the documents
I have to write.

When I want to use them with all the TeX engines (pdflatex, lualatex, latex+dvips+ps2pdf)
I get normal results. But when I try to use them with xelatex (and dvipdfmx), I get
the following error message and the accented characters are not displayed.

Error message:
** WARNING ** Obsolete four arguments of "endchar" will be used for Type 1 "seac" operator.

In attachement, you will find a short example allowing to reproduce the problem, with
few result (pdf files produced by the running of pdflatex, latex, xelatex, lualatex).

In the attachment, only, the commercial type 1 font is not provided. I will give it however if needed
to correct the problem, but I prefer not to distribute it too widely now.

regards,

rhino64

\documentclass{article}                                                                                                                      │···············
\usepackage{chianti} %this load a nice bitstream type1 font                                                                                  │···············
%\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc} %for pdflatex                                                                                                  │···············
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}                                                                                                                     │···············
\begin{document}                                                                                                                             │···············
Une baleine, cétacé ? Non merci, c'est trop.                                                                                                 │···············
\end{document}