[XeTeX] Hyphenation in Transliterated Sanskrit

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 12:57:02 CEST 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:09, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd)
<P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> I wish
> I understood more about the "duplicate apostophe" problem, in order
> to be able to offer a more directly relevant (and constructive) comment :
> Google throws up nothing relevant.

Users type ' (U+0027) and expect the proper apostrophe (U+2019) to
show up in final PDF. Knuth just replaced the character (you cannot
get U+0027 in pdfTeX, except in typewriter font). In XeTeX
mapping=tex-text does that, but not all users use that one, so we need
to support both variants.

Mojca