[XeTeX] fontspec's \setmathrm seems to have no effect

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Thu Sep 1 19:08:07 CEST 2011

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Daniel Greenhoe wrote:
> $abcdefgh$\\

> * The second line (in math mode) I would think should be mono-spaced
> because of the \setmathrm command; but instead it seems to be maybe a
> proportional computer modern font.

Letters inside $..$ without other markup are not set in \mathrm but in
\mathit; and \setmathrm only changes \mathrm.  If you change that line to:

$\mathrm{abcdefgh}$\\

then it sets the letters in monospace.  I don't know how to change the
behaviour of \mathit; fontspec doesn't seem to have a \setmathit command,
and it looks like that one may be more complicated to change than \mathrm.
--
Matthew Skala
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before principles.