[XeTeX] TECkit map for Latin alphabet to Unicode IPA

Daniel Greenhoe dgreenhoe at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 14:11:36 CET 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Andy Lin <kiryen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyhow, these are the fonts I use most often if I have uncommon
> diacritics in my document:
> Charis SIL (derived from Charter)
> Doulos SIL (matches Times New Roman)
> Heuristica (derived from Utopia)

Thank you for the font tips. I have downloaded all those fonts in the
past, and I have tested or retested them since seeing your post. I do
like the way Charis and Heuristica look. However, I am a little
surprised to note that Heuristica does not support
greek_small_letter_beta (U+03B2), greek_small_letter_theta character
(U+03B8), greek_small_letter_lambda (U+03BB), or
greek_small_letter_chi (U+03C7). The Unicode Standard 6.0 "IPA
Extensions" document identifies of these as part of the IPA character
set.

But I have another problem with these fonts. Some time ago I talked
myself into typesetting the non-Asian portions of my language related
documents using sans-serif fonts (a possible exception being
mono-spaced fonts such as often used with urls). I liked and still do
like the way such material looks using sans-serif. I am aware that
this is not so standard however in the book publishing industry.

So I also typeset IPA using sans-serif. And this limits what fonts I
can use. Currently I use GnuFree Sans-Serif for IPA. I am not aware of
any sans-serif variants of Charis, Doulos, or Heuristica.

Dan