[XeTeX] [tex-live] Ftuture state of XeTeX in TeXLive

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Oct 28 23:31:08 CEST 2011

Zdenek Wagner wrote :

> 2011/10/28 Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd)<P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> :

>> Mojca Miklavec wrote :

>>> Omega was remove because it was buggy, unmaintained, but most
>>> important of all: hardly usable. It took a genius to figure out how to
>>> use it, while XeTeX is exactly the contrary. It simplifies everything
>>> in comparison to pdfTeX.
>>
>> I think that last remark is grossly unfair, although probably
>> not intentionally so.  XeTeX adds functionality that was non-
>> existent in PdfTeX, but that hardly makes it simpler.  It
>> also introduces a non-TeXlike syntax, particularly (perhaps
>> only) in the extended \font primitive that could (IMHO)
>> have been better thought out, particularly in the overloading
>> of string quotes and the introduction of square brackets.
>>
> If I understand Mojca correctly, she compared XeTeX to Omega.

If that were the case, Zdenek, would Mojca not have written
"XeTeX is exactly the contrary. It simplifies everything
in comparison to Omega.", rather than "XeTeX is exactly
the contrary. It simplifies everything in comparison to pdfTeX."
which is what she actually wrote ?

** Phil.