[XeTeX] TECkit map for Latin alphabet to Unicode IPA

Andy Lin kiryen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 07:01:18 CEST 2011

I've looked at the tipa code, and basically what they did was redefine
\:, etc. to produce the characters. With that in mind...

Add this to your tex document
\newcommand{\setTIPAcommands}{
\def\*\char"FE50 %Replace FE50 with your choice of unicode codepoint,
I've chosen the small punctuation set because I haven't encountered
them in the wild and I can't imagine someone entering these in by hand
(as opposed to using a font's OpenType small caps feature).
\def\;\char"FE51 %Ditto
%etc...
}

Change your mapping definitions like the following
U+FE51 latin_small_letter_t > latin_small_letter_t_with_retroflex_hook
(I've used the unicode here, but you can redefine it, maybe semicolon_operator?)
(Also, I've changed the bidirectional assignment to one-way... I seem
to recall the bidirectional assignment was for things like ligatures
in connected scripts, or contextual reassignments, where you're trying
to assign a semantic equivalency between the two sides. Which is not
what we're trying to hack here. Is it an important distinction? Not
that I've seen. But then again, I have never tried searching for a
retroflex t in Acrobat, so I couldn't tell you.)

NB: The tipa manual mentions that these commands are not 100% safe.
Keep that in mind if your code begins breaking in magical ways.