[XeTeX] kannada font does not show...

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 03:14:41 CEST 2011

It's very simple.  This is nothing to do with TeX, which is working fine.

The problem lies with the font that you are using as the default font in
TeXmaker.  That font doesn't have the Kannada glyphs in it.  For the kind of
multilingual testing you are doing, you should find a reference font that
has *everything* in Unicode.  Try
CODE2000<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code2000>,
for example (see
also<http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts-south-asian.html#multiscript>
).

Install a suitable font, say code2000, by putting it in your ~/.fonts
directory.  Then fire up TeXmaker, and in Options/Configure/Editor change
the font to code2000.

Best,
Dominik