[XeTeX] TECkit map for Latin alphabet to Unicode IPA

Daniel Greenhoe dgreenhoe at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 23:56:28 CEST 2011

I am having trouble mapping TIPA input sequences involving the
backslash symbol.
An example is the "\:t" sequence used for IPA's voiceless retroflex plosive.
I have tried this is my ascii map file:
   reverse_solidus colon latin_small_letter_t <>
latin_small_letter_t_with_retroflex_hook
which is a directive to map \:t to U+0288.
The TECkit compiler compiles with no errors. But when I actually try
to use it with XeLaTeX,
I get the error "Missing $ inserted". That is, XeLaTeX is trying to
interpret $\:$ as the math mode spacing directive.

I have noted that xunicode also has the same problem:
   \textipa{\:t}

Is there work-around for this?

Dan