[XeTeX] How to manually create the xelatex.fmt?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 22:47:18 CEST 2011

2011/10/20 Petr Tomasek <tomasek at etf.cuni.cz>:
>> offers a stable multiplatform solution. I would not believe that in
>> each distro they develop their own kernel, their own HW drivers, their
>> own GTK, their own TCP/IP stack, their own web browsers. I have never
>> heard of Debian/Mozilla, Fedora/Mozilla, Mandriva/Mozilla etc. So why
>> linux distros cannot incorporate TeX Live?
>
> The reason is exactly that TeX-Live is (Linux-)distros unfriendly as it is not
> easily to package it for a particular Linux distribution (and the main reason is
> that it tries to duplicate things that should be done on system level - like the
> package management).

TeX Live fills the gap. Now it seems that up-to-date packages may be
available for Fedora but before TL there was no systematic packaging
for Linux distros although TeX exists for decades, CTAN exists, if I
remember it well, for almost 20 years. Yet the Linux distributers did
not create packaging scheme, teTeX was just a small subset. The
userscould install the basic system and then were forced to grab
packages from CTAN, without any packaging, without any manager being
aware of the users do, and moreover the dependencies were unknown so
that users were forced to grab packages by trials and errors. TeX Live
is an external tool but it _does_ provide packaging, updates etc.

>> Why everybody wants to repeat the job his/her own way but terribly delayed?
>>
>> I know it should be reported on the distros bugzillas, not here...
>
> --
> Petr Tomasek <http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek>
> Jabber: butrus at jabbim.cz

> EA 355:001  DU DU DU DU