[XeTeX] How to manually create the xelatex.fmt?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 13:38:10 CEST 2011

2011/10/20 Chris Travers <chris.travers at gmail.com>:
> 2011/10/20 Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>:
>
>> It would be a good way if the native packages were up-to-date and if
>> they allowed me to install not only the current version but even older
>> versions. As a matter of fact, I first verify that everything works
>> and after that I switch PATH. Twice I needed to test a document with
>> an old TL because I found that it does not work with the current
>> version. This is the greatest benefit of TL. I know what I am writing.
>> It happend several times that the native package of Octave included an
>> incompatible change. Two such upgrades were so nasty that each of them
>> forced me to spend two weeks of work just to make my code running.
>>

> BTW, that's *exactly* why you don't want to update existing important
> systems once they are shown to be working without extensive testing
> and staging, and why staying on older versions for working systems
> that automatically generate documents is usually the wise course of
> action.

There are two big reasons for update:

1. The new hardware is not supported by the old Linux distro

2. The necessary SW is not available as a package for the old distro
and cannot be compiled from SourceForge sources because glibc in the
distro is obsolete

Of course, I never update anything in a middle of an important task.
That's why I still have CentOS 4 on one of my computers.

> Best Wishes,
> Chris Travers

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/