[XeTeX] Always bold math & strange unicode-math behaviour

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Tue Oct 18 10:39:43 CEST 2011

Am Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:33:05 +0200 schrieb Tobias Schoel:

>>> Is there a workaround or do I need to type \mathbf{} at the beginning of
>>> each \(\) myself?

>> You shouldn't use \mathbf to make large part of an equation bold.
>> \mathbf is meant for single symbols and only for things like numbers
>> and characters. In unicode math it works by mapping them to other
>> unicode position. E.g. a \mathbf{0} is the MATHEMATICAL BOLD DIGIT
>> ZERO character at position U+1D7CE.

> OK. I wasn't used to this when using normal latex.

In normal latex the situation is similar: \mathbf prints its
argument in a specific (bold) font and normally can/should be used
only for characters and numbers.

>> If you want a bold math font you should at best use a font which has
>> a bold face.

> Is there any good unicode-math font with a bold face (Asana Math and
> XITS Math don't work)?

I do have a bold version of XITS and of STIX. But both font doesn't
work flawlessly on my machine here - neither with xelatex, nor with
lualatex (I don't know if it is a problem of the fonts or of my
version of unicode-math/fontspec).

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{unicode-math} %

\setmathfont{STIXGeneral}
\setmathfont[version=bold]{STIXGeneral Bold}
\setmathfont[version=xitsnormal]{XITS}
\setmathfont[version=xitsbold]{XITS Bold}
\setmathfont[version=Asana]{Asana Math}
\begin{document}
STIX

$\uppi\sqrt{\frac{\uppi r^2}{4}}$