[XeTeX] IPA characters

Andy Lin kiryen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 22:44:36 CEST 2011

You can also use fontlist and pipe the output to a text file.
The first part of the line (up to the first comma) is the family name.
And the part after "style=" refers to a specific font. Combine these
two to select any font. While fontspec will load most font families
automatically if you use \setmainfont or \newfontfamily, you'll need
to manually define families that use numbers as part of their name
(Helvetica Neue, Frutiger, Univers), e.g.:
Helvetica Neue LT Std,HelveticaNeueLT Std Extended:style=73 Bold
Extended Oblique,Bold Italic
In order to use this font you'll need to enter:
\fontspec{Helvetica Neue LT Std 73 Bold Extended Oblique}

As for STIX, if you're getting STIX through its tex package, it should
accessible as "STIXGeneral" as Tobias mentioned, or "STIXGeneral
Regular".

You might also consider Heuristica, which is based on Utopia but
includes additional characters for language support and IPA.
http://code.google.com/p/evristika/

BTW, you can use many tipa shorthands by loading the xunicode package.

-Andy