[XeTeX] ascii to unicode map for Hebrew

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Sun Oct 16 08:09:20 CEST 2011

Hi Nathan,

On 16/10/2011, at 1:40 PM, Nathan Camillo Sidoli wrote:

> I am editing a book of collected papers from a number of different authors, and I have a paper that is originally in LaTeX with some Hebrew, which is input in ascii.

What exactly do you mean by "input in ascii"?
Are these (La)TeX control-sequence names?
If so, then there must be a package or style-file that
interprets these sequences, mapping to font-characters
in some legacy font.

Can you please provide an example of one of these papers?

Don't send it all, but include everything from the start,
down to  \begin{document}  and some paragraphs within the body.
Also include the very end, where the  \end{document}  occurs,
and any special (non-content) coding that may be there.

> Is there a map for converting ascii to unicode for Hebrew (along the lines of asciitogreek.map).

Are you planning to use XeTeX (XeLaTeX) as the processor?
If so, please reply to the XeTeX list (copied here) as there
may be people there who can help --- especially with the RTL
aspect of Hebrew typesetting.

If there is a standard package involved, then maybe the macros
it defines should be supported by the  Xunicode  package, which
provides back-compatibility for XeTeX with such legacy methods.

> Thanks,
>
> Nathan

Hope this helps,

	Ross