[XeTeX] Missing char, missing footnote

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 23:19:10 CEST 2011

2011/10/11 Tobias Schoel <liesdiedatei at googlemail.com>:

> Am 11.10.2011 21:20, schrieb Karljurgen Feuerherm:
>>
>> Hello Ross,

>> legal
>>>
>>> in tables of this type... Can someone suggest a solution to this?
>>>
>>> The footnote occurs within a floating table. Which page should it go
>>
>> onto?
>>>
>>> Put the {tabular} into a {minipage}, then the footnote will be tied
>>
>> to that.
>>
>> Ok--will try that.
>>
>>> Also, why declare the {table} inside the {enumerate} list, when you
>>
>> know
>>>
>>> that it will float to elsewhere? It probably works OK, but it makes
>>
>> your
>>>
>>> LaTeX source harder to read and thus complicates any later editing
>>
>> that you
>>>
>>> may need to do.
>>
>> Well--ideally I don't really want it to float, I want it *right there*.
>> I'm still learning the finer points of these things, but I see your
>> point :)
>
> If you don't want it to float, don't use a floating environment like
> \begin{table}. Just leave it out. (And think twice about centering the
> tabular.)

Without floating environment \caption will not work. There are tricks
how to do it but imagine what happens if there is no space for the
whole table on the page. You will have to invent some additional text
above the itemization list in order to put a few items and the table
to the next page. Just one item plus the table would look very ugly.
Do you really want to do that? I would rather think a bit more about
the document structure.

> ciao
>
> Toscho
>

>> Thanks!