[XeTeX] Hyphenation in Transliterated Sanskrit

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 20:17:12 CEST 2011

2011/10/2 Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>:

> Cyril Niklaus wrote:
>
>> Because that's how his name is spelled.  You have guttural, palatal,
>> retroflex and dental n in Devanāgarī, respectively ङ ṅa
>> ; ञ ña; ण ṇa and न na.
>
> Yes, but all "n" variants are normally the same size, modulo the diacritics.

Its not so uncommon that two fonts with the same design size have
different x-height. If your computer has to select one character from
a different font because it does not exist in your main font, such
discrepancies can be expected. At my computer ṅ appears lower. I do
not know where fonconfig takes it from, probably from the John Smith's
fonts.

>> The guttural na is transcribed using a superscript dot, but maybe you do
>> not have it in a standard font, and your MUA used whatever font was
>> available, therefore this extra height you're talking about.  I'm not sure
>> if I've correctly understood you, to be honest.
>
> Agreed : I have changed my font preferences for "Other languages"
> (odd way of having to tell it which font to use for UTF-8 !),
> and now all four n variants are the same height.
>
> Philip Taylor

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz