[XeTeX] Diacritics in color (was Re: XETEX cannot access OpenType features in PUA?)

Aleksandr Andreev aleksandr.andreev at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 22:22:39 CET 2011

Ross Moore writes:

>> Would you be so kind as to post the PDF from this? And where does one obtain the font MezenetsUnicode ?

Mezenets Unicode is a font I'm developing for Znamenny neumatic
notation and it is available here:
http://www.ponomar.net/files/mezen_uni.ttf

Attempting to encode Znamenny Notation in Unicode seems to be a
mind-boggling task because each character is able to take several
diacritical marks, each of which is governed by its own position rules
and each of which can have its own color.

The attached image shows what I am and am not able to do right now in
XeTeX and LuaTeX.

The code was:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xcolor}
\usepackage{xunicode}
\usepackage{luacolor}
\newfontface\moo{MezenetsUnicode}
\begin{document}
\Huge
\moo
 \\
\textcolor{red}{} \\
\textcolor{red}{} \\
\textcolor{red}{} \\
\textcolor{red}{} \\
 \\
\end{document}

In XeTeX I am using the color package instead of luacolor.

Now, I realize that comparing TeX to Firefox is like apples to
oranges, but I'm just giving the Firefox example to show what is
"supposed" to happen.

Aleks