[XeTeX] cmyk encoded files

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Nov 21 14:25:31 CET 2011

On Nov 20, 2011, at 6:56 PM, Zdenek Wagner wrote:

> This information is a bit misleading. As I wrote, Pantone are custom
> colours that cannot be printed with CMYK, they can only be
> approximated. Such swatches are useful if you have to approximate a
> Pantone colour with CMYK. It sometimes happens.

No, Pantone is a company which sells color systems and inks.

They have a line of spot colors (identified by numbers and/or names) _some_ of which are outside of the CMYK gamut (but many are w/in Hexachrome gamut).

They also market materials which identify which CMYK builds can be used to approximate which Pantone Spot Colors --- note that most printers mix their spot colour inks according to Pantone's formula guides and the colour accuracy will depend not only on how the press is operated and the ink interacts w/ the paper.

If one needs to do Spot Colors in XeTeX, that's a bit of a problem, since making a named ink / plate isn't easily done in XeTeX (this can be done in pdftex using ConTeXt, or if need be w/ raw PostScript and presumably PostScript specials) --- but that's not the CMYK printing from the Subject line.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer