[XeTeX] cmyk encoded files

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 01:41:55 CET 2011

2011/11/20 Daniel Greenhoe <dgreenhoe at gmail.com>:
> 2011/11/20 Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>:
>> No.
>
>> LCMS is a good choice.
> LCMS is "Little Color Management System"?
> (http://www.color.org/opensource.xalter)?

Yes.

>> 1. It ensures that the colours you specify in the document will be converted to cmyk.
>> However, the corrections are wrong.
>> 2. xcolor does not look into inserted graphics,...
>
> But what if I hand define all my colors using cmyk syntax like this for example
>     \definecolor{magenta}{cmyk}{0,1,0,0}
> and create all my graphics using pstricks and related packages (with
> no inserted graphics)?
> Then won't the resulting pdf be cmyk compliant and contain exactly the
> colors I defined?

That's what I do. Printed colour samples are commercially available.
They are printed on different types of papers and CMYK values are
given. Thus you select the required colour on a proper paper and use
it. Sometimes I select the colour in gimp and then using LCMS convert
the values from RGB to CMYK. Scanned images are also easy. I keep them
as TIF, using LCMS convert them to CMYK and then by tiff2pdf to PDF
that can be included by \includegraphics.