[XeTeX] (OT) Re: TeX in the modern World. (goes OT) Was: Re: Whitespace in input

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Nov 19 09:27:42 CET 2011

Keith J. Schultz wrote:

> 	Me I am almost 50 and have been around computers since the 80s.
> 	First was a Apple IIe, at the university we used a main frame.

My first computer was a Clary 404, with 8K of magnetic core memory,
a magnetic card reader and/or teletype as input device, and an
IBM golf ball "Selectric" typewriter for output.  A 3rd-year
undergraduate, working under my supervision, wrote a chess end-game
solver that would run on this machine and solve end-game problems
in reasonable time.  I wonder how many programmers today could do
the same with 125 000 times as much memory (1Gb) ?

** Phil.