[XeTeX] Whitespace in input

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Nov 17 13:53:31 CET 2011

Keith J. Schultz wrote:

> Am 17.11.2011 um 11:26 schrieb Keith J. Schultz:
>
>> O.K.
>>
>> You mention in a later post that you do consider a space as a printable character.
> 	This line should read as:
>           You mention in a later post that you consider a space as a non-printable character.

No, I don't think of it as a "character" at all, when we are talking
about typeset output (as opposed to ASCII (or Unicode) input).  Clearly
it is a character on input, but unless it generates a glyph in the
output stream (which TeX does not, for normal spaces) then it is not
a character (/qua/ character) on output but rather a formatting
instruction not dissimilar to (say) end-of-line.

** Phil.