[XeTeX] Whitespace in input

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 22:58:04 CET 2011

2011/11/15 Ross Moore <ross.moore at mq.edu.au>:

> On 16/11/2011, at 5:56 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> Given that TeX (and XeTeX too) deal wit a non-breakble space already (where we usually use the ~ to represent that space) it seems to me that XeTeX should treat that the same way.
>
> No, I disagree completely.
>
> What if you really want the Ux00A0 character to be in the PDF?
> That is, when you copy/paste from the PDF, you want that character
> to come along for the ride.
>
>From the typographical point of view it is the worst of all possible
methods. If you really wish it, then do not use TeX but M$ Word or
OpenOffice. M$ Word automatically inserts nonbreakable spaces at some
points in the text written in Czech. As far as grammer is concerned,
it is correct. However, U+00a0 is fixed width. If you look at the
output, the nonbreakable spaces are too wide on some lines and too
thin on other lines. I cannot imagine anything uglier.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/