[XeTeX]   in XeTeX

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Mon Nov 14 14:26:32 CET 2011

Am Mon, 14 Nov 2011 04:05:58 -0800 schrieb Chris Travers:

> I think one of the key strengths of TeX is that it can be edited
> gracefully by ANY basic text editor.  I would hate for that to be
> lost.

Well already pdflatex can handle utf8-documents which contains cjk
or greek which are quite difficult to edit with a basic (non-utf8)
editor.

And here you are on the *xetex* list - an engine which explicitly is
meant to offer unicode support.

Also even if you restrict yourself to pure ascii input the problem
with the various spaces doesn't disappear. Unicode chars can be
input through the ^^-notation. Eg. you can input with xetex the
non-breakable space U+00A0 like this (and the example shows that the
standard latin modern font handles the space correctly):

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\textwidth=3cm
\begin{document}
ab^^a0cd^^a0cd^^a0cd^^a0cd^^a0cd^^a0cd^^a0cd^^a0cd^^a0

ab cd cd cd cd cd cd cd cd
\end{document}

--
Ulrike Fischer