[XeTeX]   in XeTeX

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Mon Nov 14 11:57:40 CET 2011

Hi Phillip,

Am 14.11.2011 um 09:36 schrieb Philip TAYLOR:

> Keith J. Schultz wrote:
>
>> So, Unicode needs an editor to be displayed correctly.
>
> Why ?  Not meant to sound aggressive, but seems a very
> odd assertion, IMHO. Editors are for changing things;
> why would you need a program intended to change things
> just to display Unicode ?
	Yes, there are other programs for displaying texts. I was thinking about
	a unix command such as cat, less, more, etc. Depending on a few things
	they will not necessarily display a Unicode text file correctly !

>> Now, for the youngsters XML, TeX, HTML are per definition plain text files.
>
> No, they are text files, not /plain/ text files.  Look
> at some mime types :

> 	text/html (for HTML)

	C'mon Phillip! I wrote "per defintion" ! That is the file is plain text.
	the plain text "text/html" is for the browser so that it knows a file contains
	html-tags/commands and interpret accordingly during display!

	Just like in XML the data tag can contain binary data, yet it is entered in HEX!
	Though, I believe in the newer standards binary can be entered directly! Been
	a long time since I look at the actual standard.

	Also, for most programming languages the source is a plain text file, even though its
	content is in a programming language.

	regards
		Keith.