[XeTeX]   in XeTeX

Tobias Schoel liesdiedatei at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 13 19:46:12 CET 2011

Am 13.11.2011 20:25, schrieb Zdenek Wagner:
> 2011/11/13 Tobias Schoel<liesdiedatei at googlemail.com>:

>>> And how about math and tables in TeX? And I would like to know a good
>>> text editor that visually displays U+00a0 in such a way that I can
>>> easily distinguish it from U+0020. If I canot see the difference, I
>>> can never be sure. And I definitely do not want to use hexedit for my
>>> TeX files.
>>
>> That is a good question. It's close to a question I asked earlier on this
>> list:
>>
>> How much text flow control mechanism should be done by none-ASCII
>> characters? Unicode has different codepoints for signs with the same meaning
>> but different text flow control (space vs. non-break space). So text flow
>> could be controled via Unicode codepoints. But should it? Or should text
>> flow be controled via commands and active characters?
>>
>> One opinion says, that using (La)TeX is programming. Consequently, each
>> character used should be visually well distinguishable. This is not the case
>> with all the Unicode white space characters.
>>
>> One opinion says, that using (La)TeX is transforming plain text (like .txt)
>> in well formatted text. Consequently, the plain text may contain as much
>> (meta)-information as possible and these information should be used when
>> transforming it to well formatted text. So Unicode white space characters
>> are allowed and should be valued by their specific meaning.
>>
> (La)TeX source file is not a plain text. Every LaTeX document nowadays
> starts with \documentclass but such text is not present in the output.

Of course, the preamble isn't plain text, but mostly macros. I thought
of the body of the document. I think, it's common practice for larger
documents to have a main latex file, which reads \documentclass …
\begin{document}\input{first_chapter}\input{second_chapter}…\end{document}
In these cases, the input documents are more or less plain text
(depending on the subject).

> Even XML is not plain text, you can use entities as ,' and
> many more. Of course, if (La)TeX is used for automatic processing of
> data extracted from a database that can contain a wide variety of
> Unicode character, it is a valid question how to handle such input.
Or if the content is copy-pasted, from let's say HTML. But who would do
that …