[XeTeX]   in XeTeX

Le Farfadet Spatial le.farfadet.spatial at free.fr
Fri Nov 11 15:26:36 CET 2011

Hello everybody out there!

On 11/11/2011 15:11, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> How does XeTeX convert \language to the rules

As far as I know, the language is a parameter transmitted to packages
that have different rules depending on the language used. It also
affects, for instance, the way punctuation is composed.

> for inserting
> nonbreakable spaces after nonsyllabic prepositions in Czech and
> Slovak?

In some cases, it is possible that XeTeX does not have a way to know
that a non breakable space is needed. In such cases, use tilda (~).

> How does it know that I am in "verbatim" mode and the
> nonbreakable spaces must not be used?

When you are using verbatim mode, it means that you ask XeTeX not to do
the processing it usually does, but just to print the characters that
are given inside the verbatim environment. Therefore, if you put a
unicode symbol in a verbatim environment, the standard behaviour is to
print this symbol. When you put a tilda in verbatim environment, the
expected result is a tilda. If you do not want a character to appear in
a verbatim environment, just do not put it in.

     Best regards.

                                     Yoann

--
L'antre du farfadet :