[XeTeX] Why I do get nonsense characters when I use unicode characters inside \message with XeTeX?

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri Nov 4 14:41:39 CET 2011

  Off the top of my head, it could be that XeTeX truncates its output to
79 bytes (not characters), and that some of the UTF-8 byte sequences are
(incorrectly) split in half.  The two codes you see on either side of
the line (DB and B1), when interpreted as hexadecimal digits, are the
UTF-8 form of U+06F1 EXTENDED ARABIC-INDIC DIGIT ONE.  But it's hard to
tell without seeing the actual log file and the original source; clearly
the file you attached isn't the whole story, because it does have any
\message, and does not use an appropriate font.

	Arthur